Friday, June 8, 2012

Why I'm Excited for July: Breaking Bad

Why am I excited for July?  One reason: Breaking Bad.  The AMC series returns for it's fifth season on Sunday, July 15th at 10pm EST.

I had not watched the show until last fall, but once I did I was immediately hooked.  I think it is probably the one of highest quality series on TV, if not the highest.  I have a couple of speculations with what will happen in this upcoming season.  The series is nearing it's end and I do not think that the writers etc want to leave any loose ends.  Based on the poster for the new season (see above pic), Walt is obviously going to be the king of the meth drug trade and take over basically where Gus left off.  I also think that two other characters will play a critical role in the season Jesse (obviously) and Hank.  However, I think Walt's relationship with Jesse will become increasingly strained.  Over the past four seasons, Walt and Jesse have had their ups and downs and season four was probably their most strained yet.  I think Jesse will find out about just how involved Walt has been in his life (in a not so good way).  Walt witnessed the dying of Jesse's girlfriend, Jane, and probably could have done something to prevent it.  The end of last season, Walt put Brock in the hospital by planting the berries from a plant in his backyard.  I think Jesse will start to make the connections and turn against Walt.  He'll realize that maybe Walt does not have his best interests at heart or value him as much he thought.  Walt has increasingly looked at Jesse as a pawn in getting what he wants, especially at the close of last season.  Jesse's feelings are disposable to him.

With Hank, Walt has generally gotten along with him and there really hasn't been any conflict between the two of them.  However, there is a bit of conflict of interest between them.  Walt makes and sells drugs.  Hank arrests the people that make and sell drugs.  Their two worlds can't exist without eventually colliding.  I think this season Hank is going to find out about Walt's involvement in the meth drug trade.  Maybe not the total extent of it, but at least some of it.

As for Walt's final fate, I think that there are four options.
1) Jesse kills Walt - I'm not sure if Jesse would have it in him to kill Walt.  He got pretty worked up over killing people he didn't know as well or have an extensive working relationship with.  However, if Jesse does find out the extent of Walt's betrayals, he is going to very upset.  Who knows what state of mind he would be in?
2) Hank kills Walt - I think that this is maybe a bit more plausible than Jesse killing Walt, even though Hank and Walt are family.  Hank has a bit more fire in him to do right.  Also, Hank has a bit of an obsession with finding out who is behind the meth ring.  Hank wants to know who is behind Hisenberg and he won't rest until he does find out.  I don't think that Hank would set out to intentionally kill Walt, but might be put in a dangerous situation with Walt. Both have been shot at numerous times and this season will probably will be no different.
3) Walt is arrested - I think this would probably be the least climatic ending for the series.  However, there is always the possibility, especially with Hank being a member of the law enforcement community and his interest in the area drug trade. Maybe even Jesse or Skylar would turn him in?
4) Walt's cancer comes back - I think this would probably be the most fitting ending.  Finally, when Walt has defeated all the "bad" guys and the people that stand between him and success, something that he can't beat will come back.  Walt would finally be in charge of the drug trade and not have to worry about answering to someone like Gus or Tuco.  His cancer returning would just be the one last thing standing in his way.  Also, it's the reason he got involved with the meth to begin with.

Anyways, whatever happens, Season 5 of Breaking Bad is sure to be a good one and won't disappoint.

2 comments:

  1. I have never watched Breaking Bad, mainly because I didn't really know what it was about. It seems interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome! I was surprised I enjoyed it so much. However, some of the stuff is kind of blood and gore. I'm usually funny about that stuff, but it didn't bother me as much when watching. I'd recommend checking it out! It's on Netflix and available at Family video. I was hooked after the first episode!

    ReplyDelete