Saturday, June 16, 2012

Review: Three Motives for Murder

Title: Three Motives for Murder
Author: Michelle Perry
Synopsis:  The small town of Coalmont, Tennessee is shattered when a car crash on graduation night leaves three of its teenagers dead and another three fighting for their lives. Four years later, the aftershocks still ripple through the town, and no one feels them more than Natasha Hawthorne, the young driver. When someone targets the survivors of the horrific crash for murder, the obvious motive is revenge. But things aren’t always what they seem, and the notion of revenge served cold doesn’t ring true with Brady Simms, newly appointed police chief. To make things even more difficult, Brady ultimately finds himself standing squarely between the killer and his next victim, the woman who broke his heart four years ago. As the killer escalates his attacks, Brady’s only hope of saving the intended victims is to get into the mind of a sociopath. When the relative of the first victim makes a startling revelation, Brady reopens the investigation and what he finds will change all of their lives forever.




This was another random book that I found for free in the nook market place.  For a free book, I was very impressed with it.  I was not sure what to expect from it.  When I opened it to read, I had no idea what it was going to even be about.  From the first page, I was hooked.  The plot was fast paced and it was easy to connect with the characters.  I felt that I couldn't help but love the characters.

The main reason that I liked this book so much was the characters.  I was very impressed with how Michelle Perry developed the plot around them.  Even though their situations were not really something that I could relate to, I felt a connection with them and understood their feelings.  They all felt very real.  I also liked the fact that even though the relationships between everyone were complex, it didn't feel that way.  Everything felt simple, familiar, and uncomplicated. It was a very easy story to fall into.

What I disliked about the book, was that about three quarters of the way through, it took on more of a romance story.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but before I thought there was a good balance between suspense, crime solving, and romance.  I thought the ending became a bit overdone in the romance. At times, some of the scenes seem a bit weird in the context of the rest of the book.

This is just a minor quip and an odd one, but I did not like the characters names for the most part.  I thought they really did not fit with the whole Southern atmosphere.  I think something more traditional would have worked better for some.

I would give Three Motives for Murder 3 out of 4 stars.  I thought it was an overall good book to read.  It was simple and uncomplicated.  I couldn't put it down but at the same time I didn't want it to end.  I think this would make the  perfect summer read.

No comments:

Post a Comment